I really like to review products for ST! Zealios (June 2015)

When I went to pull my UCAN review from slowtwitch, I remembered way back in the summer of 2015 I did a product test for Zealios.  As I still use and love these products, I thought I would share it here so I have it in my archives.

Sun Barrier SPF 45 -- For sunscreens, I tend to use and purchase a mineral based sunscreen (titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide) and try my best to avoid chemical sunscreens. I will also use the EWG lost of best sunscreens to help guide my purchases. The Zealios Sun Barrier is not listed on the 2015 EWG list so I did a quick scan of ingredients and learned that the Sun Barrier is mix of mineral (zinc) and chemical blockers (octinoxate and octisalate). Octinoxate is listed as a risk factor of an 8 due to its potential endocrine disrupting properties and octisalate is listed as a risk factor of a 3 due to its potential allergic properties. This may not matter to some but it is something I consider when purchasing sunscreen.

Now to review its performance and use! Compared to the other mineral-based sunscreens I have used, the Sun Barrier goes on smooth, dry and absorbs very well. So often I feel like I am wearing a white film for hours but that did not happen with this sunscreen. It quickly absorbed into my skin and felt light. It also performed very well in hot, humid conditions. My skin was able to easily breathe and I felt like I was able to sweat normally. I was riding/running with several of athletes who were all using a mineral based sunscreen and they complained about their skin's inability to breath and felt like their sweat was trapped under their sunscreen. I had none of these issues with the Zealios. I also have fairly sensitive skin and used the product as my primary face sunscreen and had no breakouts or redness. I wore the sunscreen each day of my 5 day training camp in Virginia which included two days of 7+ hours on the bike (reapplied twice each day) and had no issues with burning but did improve my tan lines.

The price may seem high compared to most drug store brands but is fairly comparable to the brands I usually buy. I would definitely consider purchasing it again as it provides a nice balance between a pure mineral based sunscreen and a chemical based sunscreen (and wins in the performance category over a mineral based sunscreen).

Swim and Sport Shampoo & Conditioner -- Prior to this trial, I would have used a salon-purchased shampoo and conditioner at home and a tri/chlorine removal shampoo (from another vendor) and conditioner (from another vendor) at the gym and pool. This has been the most successful combination for keeping my color-treated and very fine hair from drying out and breaking. For the 7-day trial period, I used the Zealios Swim and Sport Shampoo and Conditioner for all hair washes. I was very pleased with the results when used in the morning and following workouts. Both the shampoo and conditioner have a light citrus smell that is not over powering and does not linger for hours post shower (I can't stand it when I can smell my hair products all day). It also did a great job of removing the chlorine-scent post swims. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I did not notice any issues with the quantity needed or its inability to foam as I thought it preformed similar to my past products. Post-shower hair styling was definitely easier than my previous chlorine remover shampoo and conditioner as I found my hair had a lot more volume and was really soft (and not dry). The Zealios products will definitely replace the other brand in my swim bag.

Post our 3-hour swim at camp, I was the only one with shampoo and conditioner so I shared the product with my other teammates. They all complimented the amazing smell and noted that it did a great job removing the chlorine and the dryness commonly associated with pool swimming.

Swim & Sport Lotion -- While I know I need lotion for my sun exposed, dry, ashy, skin, I hate it. It always leaves me feeling greasy, the smell lingers for hours, and requires several applications daily to actually start to feel/see relief. But not with the Zealios. It rubs in easily, absorbs quickly and does a great job of moisturizing. Like the others have mentioned, a little goes a long way. I will admit that upon my first use, I was hesitant because of the smell. Don't get me wrong, it smells great (although I couldn't tell you what it smells like) but I can't stand smelling lotion or other products all day. But that's not an issue with this product. You get a nice, light clean smelling sent upon application but it quickly dissipates and becomes unnoticeable. In terms of performance, I saw and felt relief after the first application and that application moisturized for hours. This product will definitely become a staple in the swim bag and at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Generation UCAN review for Slowtwitch....